New fan duct installed

I installed the 40mm fan and made a duct out of clear blister packaging plastic I had on hand.  I worked out a flat pattern first, then transferred the outline and cut it out and folded it up.

2013-03-09_14-07-49_141sm

Then I used clear packaging tape to tape it closed where it overlaps.  I trimmed the duct to fit with the fan mount bracket and the extruder’s heater block.

2013-03-09_18-26-10_889sm2013-03-10_11-18-23_986sm

The duct is trapped by the fan mounting screws at the top and small wood screws (maybe #2’s) from the inside with a washer under the head and screwed into a smaller hole into the duct tab.

Making this duct by hand was quicker for me since I have done this type of prototyping before.  Plus it is crystal clear and easily trimmed.  By the way, in case you are curious enough to ask; it was a GE water filter package, maybe .2 mm thick? I did not measure, that is just a guess and its thickness is not critical.  Just don’t get it too hot, since it is thermoplastic.

Here is the flat pattern of the duct, note the dots are where the screws wound up to attach it to a 40mm fan, so adjust the tabs when you cut them out to give more edge distance.

fan duct

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s