cuckoo clock finishing

Some internal detail shown in these before pics.

cuckoo19sm  cuckoo18sm

The clock was missing the pendulum and most of the minute hand that I had to fabricate replacements. So I remade both hands to match in like style.   I used ~1/16″ craft wood pieces to make the hands and drew some shapes and cut them out with a coping saw and mini finger drill.  I also fabricated a clock face of cherry wood stained dark to replace the cardboard face.  I spun the face on a drill press and carved the contours.

cuckoo13sm

The pendulum was made of a light wood 7 inches long arm and with the decorative slide weighs about 10g. Adjusted the slide sits at 6 inches from the top, so it could be a little heavier and be ok.   I cut a slit in the top to match the wire hook on the clock and keep the pendulum arm from rocking on the wire hook.  Then I put a small brad nail in the middle of the slot for the wire hook to hold on.  It slips on and off without wobbling while ticking.

cuckoo14sm

The pine cone weight that came with the clock weighs 225g.  I ended up adding small brass screws and 1/4″ washers on top of the bellows as additional weights to overcome the resistance of the tyvek bellows material that I used (.006 inch thick from post office letter size envelope).  White glue (Elmers) worked well to glue the bellows material on.  I had to pry and break the bottom of the bellows off the top of the clock box before putting on the bellows material.  I used a clay knife to pry them off.  I used the white glue to put the completed bellows back on.

cuckoo17sm

The bellows had some resistance to fall down quickly due to the new bellows material.  The problem is with the additional bellows weight, the clock needed more energy to raise them without stopping so more weight on the chain.  I added an additional weight of 150g to overcome the bellows weights.  The extra weight makes the clock tick louder, but it works well and keeps time.  Maybe next time I would try a different bellows material.

cuckoo15sm

Notice that I also changed how the decorative clock front was attached.  They originally used brads from the front behind the cardboard clock face to attach the decorative front, and the clock face was attached with brads on top of that.  I screwed the new wood clock face on from the back of the decorative front with small brass countersunk screws.  I glued in two blocks of wood into the clock box with a hole for a small screw from the back on each to hold the decorative front on.  Now it can come apart and go back together without getting loose.

I need to glue the numbers onto the face still, so no picture until I get those cut out, but it is hanging and cuckoo-ing.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s